Hop Mania!




I ordered a whole bunch of hops from Freshops.com, and I have to say I'm pretty pleased. I ordered them on Sunday and they got here on Friday by the slowest (cheapest) shipping method - US Priority Mail - which, granted, isn't all that slow given that they traveled here to Virginia from The Glorious State of Oregon [official title]. I ordered a fair amount, as you can see from Domo's dazed state, lying amid a pile of various hops. I had to buy more hops to reduce the marginal cost-per-hop-oz of shipping (there's an interesting microecon phenomenon: high shipping costs encourage larger orders to a point; maybe I'll make a chart - but that's for another time and a different blog).

Here's what I ordered:
  • Amarillo - 2 oz
  • Cascade - 2 oz
  • Cascade Organic - 2 oz (whoops, not sure why I didn't order all organic)
  • Chinook - 2 oz
  • Citra - 4 oz
  • Mt. Hood - 4 oz
  • Zeus - 2 oz
  • Magnum - 2 oz
  • Saaz - 2 oz
  • Willamette - 2 oz
As you can see, I have a certain nostalgic-preference for hops of the Pacific Northwest. Also, Citra hops are awesome - I had an all-citra-hopped Amber at Mad Fox Brewing in Falls Church that tasted like a beery Orange Crush (awesomer than it sounds). Somehow these hops have a really strong citrus flavor that makes you swear actual oranges were used in the brewing.

Some of these are going in the freezer for future use, others are in the fridge for use this weekend. I'll let Becky speak to that.

Comments

Popular Posts